Microsoft Access Mobile Database Application running on the iPad, iPhone and on the Cloud
We took a standard Microsoft Access database application and migrated it to an iPhone, an iPad and up into the Cloud to demonstrate that there are no limits to what can be accomplished on the Microsoft Access platform.
Access your data from any device, anywhere!
Help4Access provides access to your data by offering several service options to fit your business needs and budget:
- Lift and shift – move your entire existing application to an environment where it’s accessible from any device.
- Port a subset – develop a subset of your existing application on a true mobile technology such as ASP.NET running both applications in parallel.
- Replace – modernize and migrate your entire application to a mobile technology.
- Develop a completely new mobile application from scratch using your organization’s technology of choice to run on an iPad, the iPhone and in the Cloud.
See more migrations here.
Access your data from any device
There are a variety of configurations and utilities that can be used to enable a MS Access database to be accessed from the iPad, iPhone and from the Cloud. Each configuration has it’s own unique set of benefits and limitations but every configuration will require the original MS Access application to be modified in different degrees. Hybrid configurations which leverage one or all of the different platforms/devices are also available and are the most common.
Apple Device configurations running Microsoft Access:
- iPhone– MS Access on an iPhone use Access Mobile Database Client.
- Pros: Displays tables, nested tables and queries without application rework.
- Cons: Does not display forms nor reports and data is read-only.
- iPad– To connect to a remote Server running MS Access use Jump Desktop.
- Pros: Very fast, full MS Access feature support, read and write to database.
- Con: More expensive hosting fees, application will need to be reworked to fit within the iPads 640×480 screen resolution and reformatted for touch screen operation.
- New Product: We are currently evaluating the Cellica Database for iPad.
- Hosting Service: AccessHosting.com
- Cloud – Data is migrated to the Cloud while the frontend application uses ODBC to connect to the cloud data – use Help4Access Cloud Application Hosting service.
- Pro: Data is secure, globally accessible from any device and backup on redundant database servers. Low monthly hosting fee, low migration fee, full Microsoft Access database application development features available, and no user training is necessary.
- Con: Initial application load time may be slightly longer depending on proximity of the client to data center and client’s network speed. Application may require tuning to perform at optimal capacity.